Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Saving money, still buying pencils.

Ricochet copied a rant. I commented but figured I'd repeat two things here just to spread good things around.

Cheap, too.
IF you play it right.
Staples has 1 cent offers in the weekly flyer this time of year. Usually, they are 2 per customer, but teachers can get 25 with some school ID. Got that?  Nobody mentions it in the store -- you have to ask and then they're all smiles.  So, MENTION IT!

Pencils were 8/pack so 200 pencils cost 25 cents.  And I went back the next day (It's near the post office).  and the next day. and whenever I drive by on some other errand .... like Stop & Shop next door. Did I mention that my wife who teaches elsewhere comes in at the same time?  1 cent for 2-pocket portfolio. BAM! 25 cents, 25 folders 1 class done. Paper and Single-subject notebooks are 25 cents. No limit. You should see my hall closet ... $10 buys a hell of a lot of stuff at these rates.

As for books, we FINALLY got the business office to realize the benefits of a credit card for Amazon.  If you can, schmooze the people who do the work up there and show them how much can be saved when you order through Amazon and Amazaon Used&New for your textbooks and such.  It made a big difference for us when we showed them how much we saved.

You can thank me later.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks - I am actually really good at getting "stuff" (but I appreciate your sharing the information).

    A friend offered to buy notebooks and/or composition notebooks for me - they live in a different place, the price is awesome, and I will be there shortly after school starts. But I said no. I have used Comp notebooks in the past in an effort to get kids to take notes. 1) they will not copy off the board 2) they tear pages out to throw around the room 3) I am not wasting my money anymore.

    I am feeling crotchety.

    ReplyDelete