Saturday, June 11, 2011

Food for thought - Hiring Practices

Mrs. C. reminded me the other day about the hiring practice at one local elementary school. The job would be posted on School Spring as per state law and all of the respondents would be vetted for license requirements and the usual administrative checkboxes. Those who passed this first round would be asked to come to school and take the final exams for eighth-grade math and English. Those who passed both would be considered for the job and interviewed.

You'd figure that this would be relatively easy to accomplish, wouldn't you?


The job listing for third grade teacher brought in the usual flood of SchoolSpring applicants since the button is so damned easy to push.  The list included the usual "I'm still in school and I have 2 years to go" and the "I have experience running a drill press, can I teach 3rd grade" as well as teachers from around the country and around the state.  The initial credential search narrowed down the list to 15 who were certified to teach in any state (we have reciprocity) or who could get certified by the start of school.

Every single candidate failed the 8th grade final exams. The school had to re-advertise.

Yeah, that was my reaction, too. Now clean up your keyboard.

3 comments:

  1. I once placed an ad for a technical position for a private company. I specifically requested someone with a chemical degree (chemistry, chemical engineering, etc.) or with significant experience in chemistry.

    I had dozens of resumes submitted. Only 5 were qualified. One of them lied (his phone interview quickly showed he was trying to portray his graduate work for a professor with a consulting contract as employment for the company that awarded the contract), and another never responded to my calls. Another cancelled at the last minute.

    It's no wonder the candidates failed the exam. I cannot fathom how such people even get degrees or certifications. Oh, wait, I can. You just have to spend the money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could see not passing the English test--depending on whether or not the test had questions about stories I hadn't read. Otherwise, no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here's the scary part: those candidates who could not pass the test would have been perfectly acceptable to a district that doesn't ask candidates to demonstrate an 8th grade level of competence.

    ReplyDelete